The yellow school buses are once again transporting students to and from school. Neighborhood schools played a huge role in the development of Columbus and the area. These historic schools were the center and fabric of the emerging and growing city of Columbus.
In 1930, the city of Columbus built the St. Elmo School designed in the English Vernacular Revival style at a cost of $40,000. The principal and six teachers welcomed 200 students to the neighborhood school for grades kindergarten through seventh grade. Due to the school, the neighborhood has remained a viable part of the Columbus community. Unfortunately, in the Spring of 1990, St. Elmo closed as a neighborhood school. It has been a center for several endeavors since that time including the St. Elmo Center-Programs for Gifted. Across the street stands “Columbus’ first true shopping center.” The St. Elmo Shopping Center, completed in 1939 in an English Village Style, initially consisted of three storefronts. The wonderful and historical markers placed around the perimeter of Lakebottom Park in the center of MidTown give invaluable information about the history of the area including the neighborhood schools, homes, the lake that was on the property that is now Lakebottom Park, and others. Take a walk around the Park and stop and take a look at these signs – a great way to learn about our fair city and the founding fathers who made it a special place to call home.